How to Vote Absentee When You're a U.S. Citizen Abroad

Sharing buttons:

Even though Americans live here.


And well … lots of places.

We still have a say - and a vote

right here.

3 million Americans living abroad can vote using,

from wherever we are.

Start on the website

to register to vote and request your absentee ballot be sent wherever you are.

You register to vote absentee and request your ballot using one form

– the Federal Post Card Application - or F.P.C.A.

On, you can fill it out and get help along the way.

You fill it out online,

print it,

and sign it.

Then you send it to your election office. explains how to do that for the state where you vote.

You may be able to email, fax, or mail it back.

Living outside the U.S., it may take some time to get your F.P.C.A. from here...

... to here.

It’s a good idea to register and request your ballot as early as possible.

Your ballot goes on a long journey before...

... it gets to you.

That’s why you should request your ballot by August 1.

When you receive your ballot, fill it out, sign it and send it back to your election office as soon as possible.

Your state may allow you to mail, email or even fax your voted ballot back. provides all the state-specific instructions and contact information you’ll need.

Your election office receives your ballot for counting, and you’re all set.

If you don’t receive your ballot in time to return it by your state’s deadline,

you can still vote.

First, contact your election office to ask about the status of your ballot request and ask about next steps.

If there’s not enough time,

use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot - or FWAB.

Use your FWAB just like a regular ballot.

Whether you use the official ballot, or the FWAB,

you can find out how to check your status

at you guessed it -

And that’s it.

That’s how you can be here...



But still vote.

And still have a voice - here.

Get started at

That's F-V-A-P dot gov.