Do I Qualify for the Patent Bar Exam?

Sharing buttons:

hello my name is David Meeks from Pat

Barr we're going to spend some time this

morning approximately ten minutes to

help you understand how you would

qualify to take the patent bar exam

since it's a short program we're going

to go directly to our slides and we want

to provide you a link to the general

requirements bulletin which you should

read and be familiar with because this

is really the only asset that reviews

all the requirements for qualifying for

the patent bar exam additionally we've

provided the phone number of the office

of enrollment and discipline we do

recommend that if you do place a call

that when you get somebody on the line

to ask to speak to a staff attorney

which will be more beneficial than

speaking to other people that might

answer the phone

now qualifying relates to three

different relevant areas one is your

status in the US the second is your

science or technical background and the

third is moral character and reputation

and relating to your status in the US

one you may be a citizen if you are you

qualify at least under this part if you

are a permanent resident you qualify

that is with a green card and your

status may be an alien residing in the

US which would be a person that holds a

visa to be in this country now a visas

is usually - that would be involved one

is an f1 which is a foreign student visa

and the other is an h-1b which is a

temporary work visa and I'm going to

discuss these two at the very end and we

know there are some people that are here

viewing their program that are on visas

which we will discuss at the end of our

program now Canada is a special

exception because we have a reciprocity

provision with Canada whereby a Canadian

patent attorney or agent may take the

patent bar exam in the United States and

in so doing can represent applicants

that are located in

Canada so if you're Canadian that's

applicable reciprocity provision now

that the second status is your science

or technical background and there's

three categories that you can apply

under a B and C and we're going to look

at each one of these three categories

category a is where you have a

bachelor's degree that was awarded by a

u.s. college or university an accredited

u.s. college or university or you have

an equivalent bachelor's degree that was

awarded by a foreign university and

there's 32 degrees the next slide is the

first 16 degrees and I don't expect you

to necessarily go over those but they're

all listed in the registration bulletin

starts off with biology and then there's

16 more degrees and the very last one is

petroleum engineering so again they're

all listed in the general requirements

bulletin now under category B you still

must have a bachelor's degree for

example it could be a in business but

you must have the coursework that would

be equivalent to a subject listed in

category egg for example if you had a

minor in biology you may have taken

enough courses in biology to qualify

under this category you can also take

courses at a community college now these

should be courses that would be

transferable to a four-year college or

university and they would be courses

that would go towards a degree in a

science or technical subject now

category B has four options option one

would be 24 semester hours in physics

and these would be physics courses for

physics majors in fact all of the

courses that we are referring to are

always science or engineering courses

for majors in science or engineering

now option 2 is 32 semester hours and a

combination the first being either 8

semester hours of chemistry or H

semester hours of physics and these are

basically two sequential courses and

sequential means that the two courses

together cover the entire category

or either chemistry or physics it's not

the timing it's that the content

together makeup and cover the entire

field and that's the curriculum for the

basic courses in both chemistry or

physics and these have to be the courses

that are for science or engineering

majors and these courses must include a

layup and then along with those eight

credits you need 24 more semester hours

in biology botany microbiology or

molecular biology now option 3 is 30

semester hours in chemistry and again

only chemistry courses for chemistry

majors would qualify under this option

now option Forest a broadest category

and it requires 40 semester hours and

again we have a combination the first

part of which is 8 semester hours of

chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics

and again these are two sequential

courses and therefore science or

engineering majors and they include a

lab along with those you also require 32

semester hours of chemistry physics

biology botany microbiology molecular

biology engineering and possibly

computer science now under category B

you would be supplying additional

documentation along with your

application and these fall broadly into

a category called official course

descriptions and all of these courses

you must have received a grade of C - or

better these copies you'll be submitting

copies all come from the College Catalog

during the year that you took the course

say it was a biology course in like the

school year 2000 to 2001 that would be

the college catalog where you would make

copies and including a copy of the cover

page showing that you had that catalog

available to you also the pages

describing the requirements for the

degree for example if you were taking a

biology course you would have the pages

in the in the catalog that described the

requirements for a biology degree also

for the courses that you're going to use

and have evaluated to qualify the pages

that describe those course

now along with that the application also

requires a certain amount of

highlighting one is if it's of course

you want them to evaluate then you would

highlight it on your transcript and also

in the course descriptions now I want to

make this perfectly clear that if you

don't have the college catalog from the

years that you need the Registrar at

your college or university will have

those and you can contact them you can

tell them what your requirements are and

they can make the copies for you so this

is not really a difficult problem


now as far as these courses under

category B one thing is that if your

courses were taken on a basis of quarter

hours or there were trimesters then you

multiply your college credits by two

thirds also if any of the documentation

is in a foreign language you'll also

have to file certified English

translations and if you have an

educational program or educational

credits completed outside of the US that

is in foreign colleges or universities

the office of enrolment and discipline

may ask that you supply documentation

relating to the equivalency of those

programs with a similar program in the

US and one place you can find

information about that is the council

for higher education accreditation now

under category C this allows you to

qualify by taking the fundamentals of

engineering test and any person can take

that exam in at least New Hampshire and

Michigan there may be other states and

we've given you there a link to a place

where they provide prep courses but I

would like to say that these exams are

for engineering students or engineers

they are not easy to pass and they are

very difficult for a non engineer now

anytime you're qualifying under either a

B or C you have to submit a transcript

under every category you require a

transcript and it must be an official

original transcript which includes

either a stamp or a seal and you may

submit that yourself or the college or

university may require that they submit

that to the office of enrollment and

discipline directly so whichever way it

goes it makes no difference now as far

as character or reputation a couple of

main areas here one is if you have been

convicted of a felony or any crime

involving moral turpitude or breach of

trust also if you are a disciplined

professional or for example you've been

disbarred and there are a number of

questions that relate to these topics in

the application these are questions 15

through 22 so you should go over those

questions the main idea is that some

people will not qualify on this basis

and to that many people will qualify

even if they've had some minor

interaction with the authorities in some

way like traffic tickets will generally

not prevent you from qualifying so now

we're at our last slide and this is

where we have a foreigner who comes to

the u.s. on a visa which would be an f1

visa and it would be generally a student

that comes to attend either law school

or to get an advanced technical degree

or maybe a foreign attorney that comes

to the u.s. to get an LLM degree in law

so there's a number of categories they

all would have an f1 visa you cannot

take the exam with an f1 visa you cannot

do that now after completing your degree

there is a a period of practical work

experience so you can come to the u.s.

take the degree graduate and then work

for a year and that period is extendable

for three years so you can actually be

here for that whole time period for the

degree plus another four years but you

can never take the patent bar exam

during those years because at all times

you're on an f1 visa however at the

point where the f1 visa is going to

expire hopefully your employer has

obtained an h-1b which is a temporary

work visa with that visa if it includes

a provision that you plan to procure

patents on behalf of your employer on

that basis you can take the patent bar

so that's where this all leads you come

you get your degree you can work for up

to four years you never take the patent

but you're doing patent work your

employer gets you an h-1b visa and with

that visa you can take the patent bar so

that completes our program thanks for

watching our video